Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Transitional pieces?

  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Post

    I have for some time subscribed to the understanding that 755's made by WE had 6 welds securing the return pot, and Altec manufactured 755's had only 3, and possibly a smaller vent opening.

    These seem to have passed WE's QC, yet bear Altec decals.

    I thought they are a nice clean pair with enough exception and of enough interest to be worthy of a post.

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...139715081&rd=1

  2. #2
    Junior Hostboard Member J Stover's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 1st, 2005
    Posts
    5
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi, I bought those speakers -- mainly out of long standing curiosity about 755a's. Now I've got to figure out the best way to use them. There seems to be 2 ways to go: 2 cubic foot boxes or open baffles. I'm leaning toward the boxes. It would be great to find WE or Altec enclosures, but no luck with that at all. BTW, the speakers sound pretty good all by themselves. No substitute for VOT's though. Regards, John

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I have for some time subscribed to the understanding that 755's made by WE had 6 welds securing the return pot, and Altec manufactured 755's had only 3, and possibly a smaller vent opening.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I have a single KS 14703 labeled 755A. It has 3 welds and 6 screws covered in black "stuff". I think KS stands for Kearney Systems that was supposedly a subsidiary of WE. I don't know if they actually manufactured WE replacement parts, or just sold regular production WE parts, as replacements. Do you know any better/different?

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member Steve Schell's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 30th, 2003
    Posts
    414
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    As I understand the story, Western Electric had what they called a "procurement depot" at their Kearney, NJ facility. The KS stands for "Kearney Specification" and indicates that the goods were made for W.E. by an outside supplier.

    Western Electric was forced to sign a consent decree with the U.S. Government in 1949, and agreed to cease manufacture of their loudspeakers and microphones. A full page ad by W.E. appeared in Audio Engineering magazine in late 1949, announcing that some of these products would continue to be manufactured by Altec Lansing.

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by Steve Schell:
    The KS stands for "Kearney Specification" and indicates that the goods were made for W.E. by an outside supplier.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Bummer, I had hoped/assumed that I had a Western Electric made driver.

    Is it known who the outside suppliers were? ... more than just Altec?

  6. #6
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    The WE ad (4th image from bottom of page) Steve mentioned seems to imply Altec was the vendor for the models listed, at least at the time (1949).

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member Steve Schell's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 30th, 2003
    Posts
    414
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks bfish; that's the ad.

    Joseph Esmilla has assembled some comprehensive notes on the 755 series on his web site. I wrote to him awhile back and he added my letter to his 755 pages.

    http://members.myactv.net/~je245/755survey.htm

    BTW, the SPL and impedance curves (blue graphs) are from the archives of a now deceased RCA engineer. Like most manufacturers, RCA tested the competition's products. These measurements are from RCA's "competitive loudspeaker data sheets" compiled on the W.E. 755A in 1947. They must have been taken aback by that impressively smooth and extended response curve!

  8. #8
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by Steve Schell:
    Joseph Esmilla has assembled some comprehensive notes on the 755 series on his web site. I wrote to him awhile back and he added my letter to his 755 pages.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That's really the only place I've found much info on the 755 series..... although, it appears that I read it long enough ago to mis-remember some of the details.

    BTW, the SPL and impedance curves (blue graphs) are from the archives of a now deceased RCA engineer. Like most manufacturers, RCA tested the competition's products. These measurements are from RCA's "competitive loudspeaker data sheets" compiled on the W.E. 755A in 1947. They must have been taken aback by that impressively smooth and extended response curve!
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Very Interesting...... I never thought about finding information on old drivers in that manner before!

    So it appears likely that my driver is/was from that transition period from WE to Altec..... I guess that's not too bad :-) ....wish I could find another for $10/$15 like my current one :-)

  9. #9
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Transitional pieces?


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    Yow- ten bucks. Good one! forums

  10. #10
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Considering they never brought over $40 new, sounds about right. It's that self-induced hypnosis that gets expensive.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.